Mistrusting and distant. But fiercely loyal and a good conversationalist if you get to know him. He's the type that gets cold and sarcastic when mad, but if pushed over the edge can be downright nasty. It doesn't take much to make him feel awkward, and he typically doesn't know what to do about it.
His parents met one snowy night in December. It was a winter festival, held annually for so long that nobody really remembered why it happened, just that it did. She caught his eye from across the room, and they were enchanted with each other. Quickly falling for each other, they began dating. After a few dates, she offered for him to move in. As happens with such relationships, she became pregnant. However, shortly after this he stumbled across her dark side. She had been abused as a child, and slipped into depression. Turning to alcohol, and eventually drugs. Distraught, Alex's father tried to turn her life around, but was unable to. Her stubbornness, one of her most charming features in his eyes, caused her to refuse his help. Thinking she could tackle it on her own, she'd slip up again. Fearing for the health of his child, he finally made her promise to keep clean. His callings at Olympus caused him to have to leave, brokenhearted.
For seven long years, Stacey kept her promise. She lost many a fake friend, but moved on into her new life. Working and taking care of her kid was stressful, but her stubborn nature shone through and she managed. Until the day that her abusive father died. She forced herself to attend the funeral, bringing little Alex who was six at the time along. It was a drink, just one. She managed to take drinking back up, staying far away from drugs and going with the right people to keep herself from slipping up. However, an old friend returned to her life. He swept her off her feet with his promises of having changed like she did. He was lying. He brought her down with him, and on a rainy night in March Clare Shield failed to return home.
Alex remembered a few things when he was little. His mothers face, smiling down on him. A vague recollection of his grandfather's funeral, and the night Stacey Shield didn't come home. She broke her promise, her body was later found by the police. She had died of an overdose. He was around eight at the time and was immediantly shoved into foster care. He was shoved from home to home, and only the painful memories are remembered. It seemed wherever he went trouble followed him. Little did he know monsters were stalking him. His dismissal list ranged from, "destroyed furniture", (which was in fact the closest he came to a monster attack in his early year, a Cyclops had broken into the house), to "unable to deal with his personality". The unfortunate events and abusive homes caused Alex to retract farther and farther into himself. He became distant and mistrusting. But at the same time he was seldom left alone, and the people around him, along with his frequent movements, kept the monsters of his scent. His social life was virtually non-existent. Most thought him creepy, and he was often a target of bullying.
At the age of ten monsters finally managed to get to him. On his way home from school a Telekhine attacked. Alex ran, and the Telekhine wasn't able to keep up. However, Alex was in such a panic that he stepped into traffic. His recounts of what happened were disregarded as he suffered minor head injuries. It took four more years of moving and attacks until a Satyr found him. During this time he encountered Harpies, Cyclopes, Empousai and Stymphalian Birds. He survived due to luck, long legs, and his general distaste for people kept him wary of any strangers he came across.
After this time Alex met his Satyr. Alex was on a field trip, away from the group to examine a painting that caught his eye. He was ambushed by Harpies however, this caught the attention of a Satyr that had had his eye on Alex for a while. The Satyr intervened, playing a song on his reed pipes that bound the Harpies in plants, allowing Alex to escape. Alex left his foster parents and they began their travels to Camp Half-Blood. They were near Camp Half-Blood when they were attacked by three Laistrygonian Giants. Overwhelmed they beat a hasty retreat, but couldn't outrun them. They fled into a museum and hid among the statues. A pair of assassin blades caught Alex's eye, and he snatched them. Unknown to him, they had been placed there by his father and were celestial bronze, a perfect fit. His dad had been monitoring his progress, and placed them there but moments before they had entered the building. Alex donned the blades, and the giants found their prey. Alex attempted to fight but was promptly smacked across the room, knocking his head against a statue and blurring his vision. His Satyr was prepared to sacrifice himself for Alex's escape, but another demigod Satyr pair stumbled across them. With a lucky bow shot one of the Laistrygonian Giants was taken out, and the Satyr aided Alex's escape while the other two kept the Laistrygonians distracted. Thankfully the other demigod's Satyr had a car, and their escape was swift. After this it was a rather uneventful journey, and they made it to camp. The day of his arrival he turned five-teen, and began his new life at camp.
- Children of Hades can create and launch long shards of obsidian from their palms.
- Children of Hades can create small fissures in the ground which spew plumes of hellfire for a few moments before closing. The hellfire is more powerful than normal fire, but can also harm the user, so this power must be used carefully.
- Children of Hades have the ability to create a dome of hardened earth and gemstones, roughly two or three times the size of the user, which can be used to block attacks for a short time.
- Children of Hades can conjure a set of very durable bone armor around themselves which grants enhanced protection against physical attacks. After a time, the armor grows brittle and falls off the user’s body.
- Children of Hades are able to communicate with and command the dead, and are able to sense spirits or other undead beings.
- Children of Hades are able to communicate with and command hellhounds they encounter.
- Children of Hades can sense when a mortal, half-blood, nymph/spirit that they know has died through a "buzzing" in their ears.
- Children of Hades are able to instantly destroy undead in a single attack.
- Children of Hades have the ability to Shadow Travel, to teleport from shadow to shadow; the further the distance, the more energy drained.
- Children of Hades have a heightened control over undead and can usurp dominance from others who control undead who aren’t also children of Hades.
- Children of Hades can telekinetically shape and control dead matter. The more matter moved, the more the user is drained.
- Children of Hades can perform rites to summon a specific ghost from the underworld for a time, using offerings of their choice. The more offerings given and the more specific they are to the intended ghost, the more likely they are to appear. Ghosts that have been granted reincarnation, or are trapped Tartarus or the Fields of Punishment, cannot be summoned.
- Children of Hades can bend shadows around them, concealing them for a short time.
3 Months After Character is Made
- Children of Hades are able to summon skeletal/zombie humanoids/animals to do their bidding. The more animals summoned and the bigger they are, the more energy is drained. Any armor/weaponry the undead possess increases the strain of the summoning. The undead can then be commanded telepathically their summoner. The longer they are summoned, the more the summoner is drained of their energy.
6 Months After Character is Made
- Children of Hades are to project their consciousness into any undead minion they command, taking direct control of their senses, movements and actions. However, their own body is left vulnerable for the duration.
9 Months After Character is Made
- Children of Hades are capable of entering into a contract with a willing soul, either prior to their death or after meeting them as a ghost. Once a contract is made, the user gains the ability to summon the spirit into an undead recreation of its former body, formed from the earth, to fight alongside them for a time. The undead would retain all of the skills and physical abilities they had in life, including weaker versions of any special powers. When the summoning ends, or the spirit's summoned body is destroyed, the user is left heavily drained and could possibly faint. Only one contract can be held at a time.
- Children of Hades have innate knowledge of the Underworld, able to guide themselves and allies to how to enter,explore and escape the Underworld. (as long as they aren’t already dead)
- Children of Hades tend to have dark attitudes and appreciate shadowy places.
- Children of Hades typically have an appreciation for the earth, feeling more comfortable on the ground rather than being in the sky or the sea.
- Children of Hades often grow up to make great morticians.
|Hades||Father||That he has a distant but caring father.|
|Stacye Shield||Mother||Bitterness and sorrow at his dead mother.|