Initially, Alexander, who now prefers to be referred by his middle name James or by the shortened version of his name Alex, was a timid young man. He was shy, and found it hard to stand out in a crowd full of superior people. Everyone else, regardless of age, seemed stronger and braver than he could ever be. Finally, he had found comfort in his half-sister Isa, but when she was whisked away from him by a son of Thanatos, he was alone again. But this only made him push himself harder. Since then, he has grown from the weakling he used to be.
After days of training in solitude, he now speaks solidly and without stutters. He's confident in himself now, and doesn't feel as if he has to worry about whether or not something bad is going to happen. He has also become daring and adventurous, and usually spent his time wandering around camp and other areas while everybody else was enjoying their own fun without him. He doesn't mind being in a horde of people now, as he has gotten used to it after staying in camp for a while. As such, he has also long lost his fear of being touched, which hardly even existed in the first place.
But among other things, it appears he has difficulties with trusting others now. He isn't sure who will betray him now, after Isa left him for another boy with the same first name. He didn't blame for it, but this hurt him nonetheless. He supported her from the sidelines, but as the days passed by, he only became more unsure of himself. When it seemed like she had forgotten him entirely, that was it. That was when he had a realization; you can't protect what you have already lost. He still yearns for friends, but the fact that he is afraid of being out of mind by them only makes him more protective.
Anthony Nobel was a rich man. He was an excellent business man and he always knew the right words to say. His life was great except for one thing: He was alone. All he really had was a couple of maids and butlers but they were never really his friends or people he actually cared about. In fact, all of his service hated him as he treated them badly. Anthony was getting depressed about this so he decided to go out and find someone he could say he loved. The moment he stepped out of his hotel, he bumped into someone. They both fell to the floor and Anthony groaned. He was about to yell at the person he bumped into when he saw her. A single word, "Beautiful.", flew out of his mouth as he marveled at the beauty in front of him. Unbeknownst to him, the person he had bumped into was Nyx. Anthony helped her up and asked her if she would like a coffee. Nyx smiled and she allowed Anthony to buy her one from an exclusive cafe. Anthony brought her to his room and asked her if she wanted to be with him. Nyx sighed and brought a finger to Anthony mouth. He blacked out and woke up 8 hours later. Anthony didn't understand why Nyx disappeared that day. He described her apperance to various people but it was as if she was erased from their minds. Anthony went in a deep stage of depression. This cost him to loose his job, his money and his home. Anthony managed to get a job as a construction worker as he lived with his parents until he got enough money to take care of himself. Slowly, he was getting better and he managed to get a new house, not better than his old room in the hotel but certainly better than living with his parents. But when he was finally getting over Nyx, the memory of her resurfaced when Alexander showed up in front of his doorsteps, a note attached to the basket holding the baby Alex.
Anthony took care of Alexander but he treated him even badly than his old butlers and maids. He constantly had Alex clean up the mess Anthony made when he was in one of his drunken rages. Poor Alexander would have to hide under his bed to avoid being hit by the flying glass bottles that littered the floor. Because of this abuse, Alex developed a fear of being touched. School wasn't much better for him either. He would often be terrorized by the other kids, being called an idiot, a freak, a dumb-ass. The teachers never helped Alexander, they were always too busy yelling at him for being a failure and whenever the principal came in the room Alex was in, everyone would stay quiet until he left. Alexander's only true friend was Clovis, but even he couldn't help Alexander as he was in the same boat as Alex. The reason for Clovis being made fun of was because he has a crippled foot, having to rely on Alex and his crutches.
Things started getting strange for Alex when he was 11. Alex was at central park with Clovis when his regular bully, Davis, and his cronies approached them. Alexander got the routine but Clovis was with him and he honestly didn't want him to get hurt again, like the last time they jumped Alex. Davis grinned as he spoke, "Hey senior dumb and sir cripple, how are ya guys?" Alexander was shuddering but he walked up to Davis. Davis grabbed Alexander by the hair and threw him on the ground. Clovis begged them to stop but all Davis did was laugh as he ordered his gang to help him kick Alex. Alex had tears running down his face and all Clovis could do was stare as they continued to beat Alexander. Suddenly, the air grew cold as a large man appeared, his face hidden by a hat but still appearing as menacing. Davis gulped and told his friends that they should go away now. Davis did not know the man but he recognized him as a threat so he and his gang quickly whizzed away on their bikes. Alexander got up and dusted himself. He stared at the man, who towered over Alex. Alex took a step back. Fear froze him as the man got closer to Alexander. Clovis yelled, "Alex, run!" But the fear kept Alex on the ground, all he could do was keep staring as the man slowly got closer to Alex. He was now close enough to Alex for him to sell the giant man's breath. It wreaked and made Alex mentally gag. It smelled of death. The man spoke, "Hello there, demigod. How would you feel to be devoured alive by me?" Alex was on the verge of passing out. The man seemed to be completely serious. He slowly reached out to Alex as Clovis yelled, "No!" Alex closed his eyes, awaiting the end. Except it never came. He opened his eyes to see the man's mouth wide open, his eyes. . . No wait, eye, was wide open. A pitch black katana stuck inside his abdomen. He said weakly, "Child. . . of Nyx." Before vaporizing into a golden dust that drifted away in the air. Alex mumbled, "Ugh, what. . ." Before collapsing onto the ground. At the time, Alex didn't know what he did. He later awoke in a hospital room next to Clovis, who smiled but look distracted. Alex asked his friend, "How. . . how long was I out?" Clovis looked at Alexander with the eyes of the ancient. "5 days." He said before looking at the ground. Alex was later questioned by the police and gave them an unsatisfactory answer, "He just. . . turned into dust. I don't really know. . ." The police tried to get a better answer from Alex but after their 15th failed attempt, they called it quits and sent Alexander back home.
After this incident, things were getting better for Alex, at least a little bit. His father didn't hit him as much and even Davis cut Alex some slack, only dumping Alex in a trash can rather than doing a full-on beating like what he would usually do. Things were good for Alex and only a few strange events occurred, none of them really that peculiar. All was well for Alexander until an event happened that would change his life forever.
Alex was now 15 and his father's condition was worsening. He would often yell at Alexander for no reason, chucking bottles of alcohol at him. Alex was already excellent at dodging the bottles (practice makes perfect) but his father just wouldn't calm down. When his father yelled at him, his voice seemed to have a hollow effect to it and his eyes seemed to glow. Alexander had noted this change and was especially shocked when his father yelled, "Alexander Nobel, son of Nyx! Death shall await you!" His father lunged at him, swinging a cracked glass bottle. Alex screamed as his father swung the bottle right at Alexander's head. But then, a rock cracked opened one of the windows and made a beeline to Alexander's father's hand. It hit his target and his father groaned in pain, dropping the bottle, causing it to break into multiple shards of glass. Another rock appeared from the window and this one hit his father right in his noggin. Alex winced as his father fell, his fall making a loud thud as he crashed onto the floor. The door was then kicked down by who appeared to be Clovis, his eyes wild. Alex couldn't help but stare at Clovis' legs, they looked like they belonged to an animal. Clovis shrugged but he quickly grabbed Alex and told him they had to go somewhere.
As Clovis quickly put on his disguise and got a bus with Alex, he quickly explained that he is a satyr and that the world of the ancient Greek gods are real. He explained to Alex that he is a demigod and apparently, a son of Nyx. He also told him what is happening to his father, explaining that his body had been taken over by an eidolon, a spirit. Alex was sweating, he couldn't believe what was happening. Clovis told him he was going to bring Alex to a place with people like him and that they were already near their destination.
As they reached the camp boundaries, however, someone was waiting for them. It was Anthony, Alex's father. All Alex could do was back away as his father got out of his car. "I've been waiting for you, Alexander. . ." His father/the eidolon said in it's terribly creepy voice. Clovis took off his pants and his shoes. "I'll hold him off as much as I can just run." He told his friend. Alexander nodded as Clovis brought out his flute. Alexander ran away, turning only to see Clovis on the floor, a knife implanted exactly where his heart is. Alex watched as his friend turned to him, only to say one word, "Sorry." Clovis closed his eyes and smiled before turning into a sunflower. "Heh, looks like goat boy is gone. You're next, Alexander." Alexander's best friend, his only friend, had been killed. Alex wanted to fall down on the floor and weep but another set of feelings prevented this. Anger. He wanted to defeat the one who killed his friend. He would have to defeat his father. "Oh, so you aren't going to cry then? How disappointing, I was going to go away as soon as I killed you. I just want to see your father's reaction when he finds out he killed his own son." The eidolon laughed. "So a duel? Tell you what, I'll give you this knife, celestial bronze. I found it in that basket you were in when you were "delivered"." He threw the knife at the floor, inches away from Alex. Alex took deep breaths as he grabbed the knife. "Now child of night, you die today!" The eidolon lunged at Alexander. The monster was cocky, not very intelligent either. Alex quickly stabbed his father in the heart and the eidolon gasped. "You. . . would kill your own father?" Alex replied, "Clovis. . . he told me that celestial bronze wouldn't kill humans. . . but the same isn't for you." The eidolon tried saying something but it seemed to disperse away. The eidolon was gone, at least for now. Anthony collapsed on the floor and groaned. He was unconscious but very alive. Alex tried walking but he succumbed to the strain and fainted. When he awoke, he found himself being taken cared of in the infirmary. He was alive and was later told that his father was brought back home, the whole situation explained to him. Alex nodded but all he could think about was Clovis. He really did die and Alex thought it was all because of him. He didn't want any more people to get hurt, he wanted no more of death. He wanted to be strong, so he could protect those he cared for. He was tired of being weak and useless, he wanted to be worth something, no longer wanting to be the one to hide. He made his resolution and Alex would follow it to the end.
- Children of Nyx have the ability to conjure weapon out of pure shadows which can be used for combat; however, only one weapon can be conjured at a time and it cannot be bigger than the one who conjured it. This can also be used for other non-combative objects, but within reason, something might be shaped like an iPod, but as shadows do not have any working parts and source of electricity, such as batteries, they would not actually play music.
- Children of Nyx can create solid bullets out of shadows and fire them from their fingertips. The bullets fly fast enough to possibly tear into an opponent’s skin.
- Children of Nyx have the ability to conjure a dome of solid shadows around them which will defend against attacks for a short time.
- Children of Nyx have the ability to conjure a cloak of darkness which will blunt physical attacks, but slows the movement of the conjurer.
- Children of Nyx are innately stronger and are slightly less drained by their powers during the night.
- Children of Nyx can see perfectly in the night as if it were day and darkness in general.
- Children of Nyx can communicate with and command nocturnal animals.
- Children of Nyx, during the night, sense any motions in their vicinity (up to roughly a city block away). Large, rapid movements are easy to distinguish, while smaller, slower movements blend together like background noise, requiring focus to single out.
- Children of Nyx have the ability to Shadow Travel,to teleport from shadow to shadow; the further the distance, the more is energy drained.
- Children of Nyx can bend shadows around them, concealing them for a short time.
- Children of Nyx are able to create complete darkness in a small area for a short time, extinguishing all light sources. They can also perform this power to a lighter extent, by putting out a single light bulb or candle with a thought.
- Children of Nyx can telekinetically move and transform their shadow constructs. The more constructs moved and the bigger they are, the more energy is drained.
- Children of Nyx have the ability to create intangible stars, which will light an area for a short time.
3 Months After Character is Made
- Children of Nyx can cause true night in an area for a short time, blocking sunlight over a battlefield. Their passive boosts and the abilities of other demigods are affected accordingly. This effect lasts for at most a minute before fading back, and can only be used once a day. They can also create a pair of shadow wings to fly with (which drains less energy than shadow travel).
6 Months After Character is Made
- Children of Nyx are able to create up to seven nocturnal animals, no larger than their normal sizes, to serve them for a short time. While the animals are summoned the user is slower, and they are drained whenever one of the animals is harmed or when the animals are released.
9 Months After Character is Made
- Children of Nyx have the ability to shed their flesh and turn into a state of pure night. While in this state, the user is granted flight and their existing abilities become stronger. They are intangible in this state and anyone they touch has their vision stripped away for the rest of the transformation; however, once the user changes back they will be extremely drained and immobile for a long time. They would possibly pass out.
- Children of Nyx tend to prefer the dark.
- Children of Nyx are often nocturnal; preferring to operate at night and sleep during the day.
- Children of Nyx tend to have a darker outlook on life and events of the world.
- Children of Nyx often pursue jobs that take place at night or in darkness such as being a security guard, nightclub bouncing, and mining.
- Children of Nyx are typically favored and get along with nocturnal animals, such as bats, raccoons, ocelots, etc.