Amberly is a clever, charismatic 13 year old girl, making her a natural negotiator in most circumstances. She has an off-beat, but entertaining sense of humor and is quite the trickster, like many of her cabin mates. Amber is a fantastic liar and thief. Although, Amberly tends to be overly self confident and sarcastic to the point it is rude. She cannot use her manners even if her life depended on it, and is afraid of confinement, failing, and oddly enough, the Aphrodite and Eros campers. She also loves Internet memes and will refer to them in conversations no matter who she may be talking to.
Mallery Broder was a sharp and intelligent corporate lawyer attending a meeting with her company's newest client. She walked into the board room and sat down. Then, sitting in front of her was the most handsome man she had seen in her life. He had salt and pepper hair, blue eyes, and a sly grin that Mallery couldn't help but adore. It turned out he was a business man for the client. When the meeting concluded, the man introduced himself as Henry Dieb, though he was actually Hermes and asked her to grab a bit of lunch with him.
The lunch lasted for hours, causing Mallery to be late to a dinner with another client. She and Hermes started to date, and as their relationship became longer and they became closer they stared to...you know. A year later Mallery informed Hermes that she was expecting. The night he received this news, he told her about who he was and left.
Nine months and three weeks later in Grand Rapids, Michigan on June 6 Amberly Kristen Dieb came into existence. Mallery used Hermes's name instead of hers, because she felt that since this was his child she deserved at least his staged surname. Amberly was a handful of a child, always causing mischief and mayhem at every turn. In kindergarten, when she was supposed to learn how to read, she was struggling and could barely read the word 'dog' much less an entire sentence like the other kids in her class could. Her mother got her tested and it turned out she had dyslexia, with a mild case of ADHD and tad bit of kleptomania.
This was tough, but she learned to deal with it and became a fairly good student. Academically of course. She got more detentions and ISS's than anyone could count. It was always for pranking a faculty member, causing distractions in class, doodling on the dry erase board while the teacher was gone. Any infraction of the rules that had the word 'disruption' in it, she had committed.
One day when she was 12 in a particularly boring detention, with no other student but herself, the teacher monitoring the detention, Mrs. Garsnip, turned into Lamia, a child eating demon woman, and attacked her. Mr. Douglass smelled the monster, and heard the screaming from the . He grabbed a wooden club that he kept well hidden in his room, and used the butt of it along with his hooves to break down the door. He beat Lamia with it until she vaporized and began to explain everything to Amberly. Who she was, who he was, and about the magical camp she had to go to for safety. At first, she thought he was completely mad and threatened to call the cops on him. After a lot of negotiation and more in depth explanations she finally came to the conclusion that he was telling the truth and he would take her to Camp Half Blood. So, they called her mom from the nurse's office, explained to her what was about to happen, and set off on their journey. Before they left, Mr. Douglass gave her a thin and light Celestial Bronze sword that he had kept from a son of Athena he was supposed to protect, but died before he could make it to camp (he didn't tell her the bit about the boy dying).
The adventure to camp lasted two weeks and was life threatening. They ran into monsters like a Fury, a depressed Cyclopes child, a few Kobaloi, and when they were just about to get to the entrance they fought Orthrus. She now lives with the Hermes kids, and has never been happier.
- Children of Hermes are skilled thieves and are able to disarm an opponent and take their weapon easily.
- Children of Hermes can summon nearby animals to attack an opponent. The more animals summoned and the bigger they are, the more energy is drained.
- Children of Hermes are able to increase their speed and stealth in short bursts, making them faster than most and undetectable for a short time. However, they cannot have a weapon drawn so the speed is purely for evasion.
- Children of Hermes have innate reflexes which allows them to fight and dodge quickly.
- Children of Hermes are extremely proficient with thrown weapons.
- Children of Hermes are proficient in dodge-rolls.
- Children of Hermes have the inhuman ability to leap great distances at once which this can be used to dodge or attack.
- Children of Hermes possess enhanced stamina.
- Children of Hermes can sense and manipulate locks of all types. The more complicated the lock, the harder to manipulate.
- Children of Hermes are able to endow a pair a shoes with ethereal wings which grant the wearer temporary flight, they may use it for themselves or give them to another, however they are only able to go as high as just over the tree tops, and they only last for a couple of days at most before the wings lose power.
- Children of Hermes can cause a person or a group of people to speak in different languages so that no one understands what each other is saying, the effects only last a short time.
- Children of Hermes are able to trick another into doing something for them or revealing a secret to them; nothing guarantees the person will complete the task, if they figure out they are being tricked.
3 Months After Character is Made
- Children of Hermes are able to teleport themselves, since their father is the god of travel. The further the distance, the more energy drained.
6 Months After Character is Made
- Children of Hermes can temporarily steal 1-3 demigod powers from an opponent or ally for a few minutes, the user gains some knowledge of their new powers. The more powerful the stolen powers are and the more taken, the more energy is drained when the power theft wears off. (If the target doesn't have their 3/6/9 month powers, they cannot be stolen.)
9 Months After Character is Made
- Children of Hermes can shift into a hawk for short periods of time granting them flight, the longer they retain this form, the more energy it drains and the more time they need to rest between transformations.
- Children of Hermes make excellent thieves.
- Since their father is god of astrology, children of Hermes tend to make great astrologists. Able to identify any constellation and use the stars to draw star maps.
- Children of Hermes often do well when competing in athletic contests.
- Because Hermes “invented” the Internet, his children are able to use the Internet without drawing any extra attention to themselves from monsters.
- Children of Hermes have excellent memories for remembering messages.
- Children of Hermes have excellent sense of directions, are able to find and travel to any location in the world with ease.