He usually wears a white, hooded jacket with a black T-shirt underneath, regular blue jeans, and red&black sneakers. After he made it to CHB, immediately set out to create a battle suit for himself. This battle outfit includes: A white, hooded cloak. [Try to imagine an Assassin’s Creed cloak&hood.] With a black sword sheath on his back. He has a loose fitting belt that slants slightly. This belt has the image of an owl with an angled spear behind it, embedded into it’s golden buckle. These images are to honor Athena, his mother, and giver of wisdom. With this he wears baggy blue jeans and greek greaves. He completed this suit on his 6th day at CHB.
Being part irish, he is, stereotypically, hot tempered and easily annoyed, but he hides his anger well, and this does not make him reckless, although he does become passive aggressive. His dad has taught him to be able to keep his calm and have a level head even when under tremendous pressure.
Being a child of Athena, he is exceptionally intelligent and an extremely fast learner. Because of this, he is easily frustrated when people don’t keep up with him (intellectually) and becomes very sarcastic. This has become a bad habit for him, and he will commonly make sarcastic remarks, even when unagitated.
He is also very adaptable to his surroundings (Not including social surroundings.) He develops great plans and tactics in the heat of battle, commonly using the surroundings to his advantage. He is not only adaptable to his surroundings, but also with weaponry. He can turn many household items into weapons if needed, and he learns how to use new weapons very easily and very fastly. He believes in “on the job” training.
Although he is ADHD you wouldn't be able to tell without looking at his eyes. This is because he has learned to focus his energy into trying to familiarize himself with every single detail of his surroundings until he can find his way around with his eyes closed. So you don't see him 'twitching' unless he's uncomfortable. His efforts to familiarize himself with his surroundings are extremely visible in his eyes. They will dart around and he has trouble looking people in the eye when talking. When angered, however, it becomes the opposite. He will look his, 'opponent' (for lack of a better word) in the eyes and his hands begin to 'twitch'. When uncomfortble or anxious, he shows all the signs of ADHD very visibly.
James is very shy with new people and very reserved. He doesn’t like to open up to anyone about what he thinks or feels unless he’s comfortable around them. His feelings are personal to him and he will rarely let them out.
Lastly, has a soft spot for girls. Being the son of an old fashioned southern man, he was raised being taught that he was to protect and respect women. In other words, he is a typical southern gentleman.
Athena was observing a battle in the First Gulf War, when she noticed Ryan Raider, a mortal military captain, and his knack for battle tactics. She payed close attention to this mortal, for was clear sighted. She watched over him in Afghanistan and protected him in battle. Once, while Ryan was busy working on battle plans, she approached him in the form of a female soldier. She gave him advice and her thoughts on his battle plans and helped him improve his work. Athena admired his brilliant mind and after thier encounter she gave Ryan her blessing, which caused him to make better battle plans and greatly enhanced his own fighting capabilities.
After the the war ended, Ryan retired from the military and started an antique weapons shop in a small Texas town. He and Athena often met at a local coffee shop. Over 3 months they did this until, finally, Athena's and Ryan's minds were unified, and thus, James was born. After James' mental birth, Athena felt obligated to tell Ryan of her true nature and that ancient greek monsters would come after their son. She then she left them, but not without giving them a gift. She gave Ryan a celestial bronze, brass knuckled combat knife, and instructed him to give it to their son on his 13th birthday, she also gave him the location of CHB, for when it was time for their son to go.
His dad did his best to raise James on his own. At the age of 4 Ryan began to homeschool James, and did this for most of his life. When James was 6, he started to show the talents and abilities that children of Athena tend to have, he was skilled in subjects such as math and science, though he was slow at things such as english and spelling, due to his Dyslexia. James was 7 when his dad began to teach him martial arts. His dad got him LEGOs on his 8th birthday, and he began making elaborate constructions with them. By age 10 James had mastered several martial arts that his dad had been teaching him, so Ryan decided to instruct him in the use of combat knives. When James became 11, Ryan thought it best to move closer to CHB in case of an emergency. They moved to the smallest town he could find in New York. After James had settled into his new home, his dad sent him to a school for military children which was located on a military base. His dad believed this would make him a less likely target for monsters. James could never make friends in his school, due to his shyness and the fact that all the kids already had their own groups to hang out with, no one ever really talked to him. James was able to live a normal life up until he turned 13.
On James’ 13th birthday, his dad told him everything, from who his mother was to the fact that he’d be chased by ancient greek monsters. Ryan also gave him the celestial bronze combat knife, as Athena had instructed him. James’ first monster attack was by a harpy, which grabbed, and almost kidnapped him. He was able to get away thanks to his martial arts training and the celestial bronze combat knife his dad gave him. He tried to live a normal life for 2 years, but was continually attacked by monsters that were getting increasingly powerful. At 13 he was attacked by 2 harpies. He figured if he were going to kill them (As he did not know monsters reformed) he was going to need to get rid of their wings, which he couldn’t do so easily out in the open. So he tricked them into following him into an enclosed area, a public restroom, where their wings were of little use. There he easily dispatched them. When he was 14 he was attacked by 3 stymphalian birds. While running around the town he noticed they avoided loud noises, so he lured them into the subway where there was enough noise to completely disoriented them. After James became 15 he was attacked by a chimera in his own living room. His dad was able to distract it by firing an antique Thompson Machinegun. They were unable to defeat it and fled in Ryan's car to CHB. James Raider has only been at CHB for 1 week.
(3/6/9 month powers are still locked.)
- Children of Athena have the ability to see each specific pressure point on another person and are proficient at striking them in order to immobilize or greatly pain another person for a short time.
- Children of Athena are changed during battle and become stronger and quicker in combat than a normal human could achieve.
- Children of Athena are able to generate loose materials or manipulate any loose materials found around them to weave a wall. The wall obstructs the view of anyone facing them, and also blunts attacks. However, it does not stop attacks entirely, it is only capable of slowing the attacks down (possibly say that the wall will cut like a bunch of woven stuff or something ~ spiders and what not).
- Children of Athena, using their inclinations of battle and strategy, can most of the time, predict the course of action an opponent attacking them will take, and and are able to dodge or parry accordingly. However, if the prediction is wrong this may cost the child of Athena dearly.
- Children of Athena have the innate ability of hyper-cognition. They are able to perform more complex mental operations than a normal human could achieve. They are able to process thoughts and learning far quicker than others with little cognitive effort.
- Children of Athena have innate battle reflexes which allows them to fight and dodge quickly.
- Children of Athena are able to communicate with and command owls. If the user gives too many commands, the owls will become frustrated and disobey.
- Children of Athena have the ability to empower strength and intelligence upon nearby allies and instil fear upon nearby enemies with a deafening war cry for a short time.
- Children of Athena have minor telepathic abilities, making them able to telepathically communicate with their allies and read the current thoughts of an opponent’s mind. But this mind reading does not always work.
- Children of Athena through telepathy are able to alter the moods of a person or group of people for a short time. They are able to make an ally calmer and more courageous or an opponent panicked or depressed. Once a target has suffered from this power, they become resistant to it for a moderate amount of time.
- Children of Athena can curse an opponent, temporarily ruining their ability to formulate battle strategies for a short time. With this curse, the target would only think up rather silly and quite awful strategies. This gives the user a chance to attack or flee. Ex: The target would fake a heart attack and fall back on the ground, thinking the user would believe it and give up on the fight.
3 Months After Character is Made
- Children of Athena, due to the strength of their minds, are gifted with the ability of clairvoyance. They are able gain information about an object, person, location or physical event through means other than the known human senses, for example beyond their normal sensory range or when unable to use their physical senses. Some techniques of clairvoyance are veridical dreaming, scrying and parasight.
6 Months After Character is Made
- Children of Athena can curse an opponent with severe stupidity and ignorance, temporarily stripping them of their intelligence and knowledge. The curse can cause an opponent to lose their common sense, fighting skill and tactical abilities. The target could even be unsure how to swing a sword or use their powers properly. After a short time, the curse will wear off and the target will regain their intelligence and knowledge. Their minds will be resistant to further use of the curse for a moderate time and the user will be substantially drained.
9 Months After Character is Made
- Children of Athena can turn into a normal sized owl of whichever species they select for a short period of time, allowing them flight. The user has the option to grow into a giant owl, it can be up to 2 to 3 times bigger than their size as a human. This will make the transformation more draining. As a giant owl, the user would be twice as fast as a normal owl mid-flight, be able to transport allies and possess a very loud scream. After the transformation, they are extremely drained. Unable to move and they could possibility faint.
- Children of Athena are normally very intelligent, wise and clever. Able to easily excel in school.
- Children of Athena tend to be very adept at weaving, pottery and other crafts.
- Children of Athena typically have the potential to become great soldiers, agents or generals. Able to perform remarkable feats within the Military.
- Children of Athena can grow up to make great scholars, teachers, professors and scientists.
Pet Name: Spirit.
History: James found Spirit in the forest at camp. After seeing the bird he had a sense of uneasyness. Being a child of Athena James had the ability to order owls to do certain things, so he, instead of ordered, asked the owl to take a look around. The owl obliged happily and found a hellhound near by. After recieving this information from Spirit, James was able to kill the hellhound before it found him. After that however, the owl had never left him. Spirit took a liking towards James and followed him almost everywhere. Eventually James took Spirit in as his pet.
Abilities: Empathic link with James (As he is a son of Athena.) Spirit is a predatory bird so he knows how to hunt. Spirit is extremely inteligent, a side effect of being talked to, telepathically, by James so often.
Lives: Spirit is kept in the forest near camp, where he can hunt, be free, and stay close to James.