Jordan is a paradox. Naturally cheerful, a clown, and full of life, his experience with darkness has given him a shadowy side. Despite being Thanatos' son, he despises death.
What's up? The name's Jordan Black. I'm the Son of Thanatos. So I'll try and keep this short cuz' I'm sure you don't give two craps about me...but if you're reading this you better start, because this is like, personal information and stuff. So it all started with my mom, a paramedic in Chicago. Her name's Emily, Emily Black. She was really pretty back in her day. Tall with perfect skin and hazel eyes and all that...well she was at the scene of a wreck when she came upon a small boy, lying in a puddle of blood. It was just about now that Thanatos came to collect the boy's soul, but upon seeing my mom, he instantly was filled with desire for her...(I'm trying not to throw up right now. I mean, this is my mom we're talking about!)
Anyhow he revealed himself to her and offered her a choice: Either the boy must die that day, and be taken to the Underworld, or she submit herself to him, becoming his. In compassion she sacrificed herself for him. And so, for many weeks, Thanatos would visit my mom nightly and...let's not talk about it. ANYWAY eventually she got pregnant with yours truly. The Death god didn't like that, and so she never saw him again. Screw that guy.
And so I was born, never knowing who my dad was. My mom always she'd tell me one day, and I eventually gave up on asking. I couldn't budge her. And so things were going pretty well. Everybody in elementary school thought I was cool. I mean I was kind of a class-clown but also decently smart, so that was good. and I did well in class, so the teachers likes me. I played basketball a lot and loved two hand touch football. Basically I had a nice, pretty normal childhood, and I guess I'm thankful for that. But eventually the monsters came for me. I was almost 14 when I got first attacked. It was after school and I was home alone, when a dracaena busted down the door and ploughed into my kitchen! I panicked. There was darkness and a lot of noise, and then, suddenly, I was a block down! Unkown to me, I had just shadowed travelled for the first time. The monster left, probably onto another demigod scent. I survived, though I didn't have any desire to return home.
Finally when my mom did convince me to come back, I looked up the beastie that had attacked and found it to be from Greek myth. My mom finally spilled the truth about my dad, thinking I'd be upset...but I was on top of the world!! Mythology was real and I was the Prince of freaking Death! Wicked!! Yeah...until I visited a grave yard. I decided that since my dad was death-god, he might could talk through graves. But upon visiting a large cemetery (and concentrating) I found myself plagued by wailing, exhausted voices, screaming for life. They clawed at the edges of my sanity, pulling me down.
The voices never left. Sure, sometimes they got quieter or I could block them out, but they'd always come back. Some were relieved, some were angry, others despairing, and still more confused. But to all of them there was a certain element of being Lost that my mind could hardly handle. I grew kind of gloomy, and lost a lot of friends. The upside to being a demigod, however, was that I had awesome powers! Within six weeks of my fourteenth birthday, I summoned my first astral scythe. Within a year, I always imagined (maybe?) seeing spirits. MY senses grew sharper, my body more powerful, my mind more alert. And that was good, because the monsters weren't done.
Thankfully, I only got attacked two more time in the next year. The first was at my house by a trio of harpies, and another time by some sewer telkhines. My astral scythe won the first time, but the second I had to run for my life. But I didn't return home..instead I kept running. I decided I was a danger to society. I figured on the move monsters would be even rarer, but as soon as I stepped outside Chicago... I was jumped by giants. Four of them, big, brutish and mean, attacked IMMEDIATELY upon me reaching the city limits. I tried to run, then I tried to fight, but my attacks just bounced straight off of them. I was able to run for a moment, but they grabbed me. I surely would have died that day if not for my rescuers. At the last possible moment, half a dozen demigods came sprinting I and took the beasts down, but I wasn't in any state to ask questions of them. However they were still with me after I regained consciousness, and they introduced themselves as "The Claw". The Claw was a group of about twenty demigods (all, I later learned, graduates of Camp Half Blood) who defended Chicago. Had it not been for their constant slaying of infiltrating monsters, my childhood would've been like any other. But as it was, I had gotten away with only a few weak skirmishes.
Well as I'm sure you guessed, I join up with the Claw. It took me a while...I still wanted to wander on my own, but after saving me from yet ANOTHER monster attack (almost an hour later) I joined up. They taught me to fight, giving me two swords and training me in them. As my powers and skills developed, I became a leader amongst their ranks. We took down many beasts, from stymphalians to giant serpents. Once, in a duel with a hellhound pack, I myself slew three beasts (One at a time of course!!). And later on I used my astral scythe to decapitate the leader of a pack of griffins! Life was good! So good, in fact, that we sent a group of satyrs packing that wanted me to come to some "safe place" called Camp Half Blood! I was happy and belonged.
But it was not to last.
After about two years, there was an army of cyclops who began to mess with us. The Claw had driven many of them from off the streets years ago, and they wanted Chicago's downtown back. After a week of skirmishes they overcame us with sheer numbers and power. I alone escaped, enshrouding myself in shadow to slip away. But before he died, our leader managed to tell me all about Camp Half Blood, a safe place for demigods in Manhattan.
I began the long, torturous journey to camp. Lucky for me, I ran into a satyr who brought me to Half Blood Hill. And so now I'm here! I've still got a lot of inner demons (I lost a lot of friends with the fall of the Claw), but I'm alive and still know how to laugh...I think that will do for now. Thanks for reading. Now return to your regular programming.
- Children of Thanatos can use astral energies to make weapons for a short period of time, the larger the weapon, the more energy consumed. Only 1 weapon may be created at a time and it cannot be bigger than 2 or 3 times the size of the user.
- Children of Thanatos have the ability to drain some of the life force out of a person, so that they become weaker, slower, and almost sedated for a short time. However, using this in succession will weaken the power’s effect.
- Children of Thanatos have the ability to conjure a protective dome of astral energies around them, which will protect the user from attacks for a short time.
- Children of Thanatos can sense any death, whether it be mortal, demigod,nymph or monster.
- Children of Thanatos can communicate with the souls of the recently deceased.
- Children of Thanatos heal slightly every time they deal damage to their opponents.
- Children of Thanatos are able to see the lifespan of others, but are forbidden to share information about the lifespan in any way.
- Children of Thanatos have the ability to Shadow Travel, to teleport from shadow to shadow; the further the distance, the more energy drained.
- Children of Thanatos are able to call forth recently deceased spirits to aide them for a short time.
- Children of Thanatos are able to enchant weapons with soul-damaging powers, the effect only lasts for a short time.
- Children of Thanatos can bend shadows around them, concealing them for a short time.
3 Months After Character is Made
- Children of Thanatos are able to feast on the darkness around them and empower themselves for a short time, enhancing their strength and speed. After the effect wears off, the user will be somewhat worn out and unable to use the power again for the rest of the fight.
6 Months After Character is Made
- Children of Thanatos have the ability to temporarily split their souls in order to create a duplicate of themselves to aid them in combat. This duplicate and can only fight using whatever weapon the user has and possesses a weaker version of their powers. The user and the duplicate will possess a telepathic link. The longer the duplicate is maintained, the more energy is drained.
9 Months After Character is Made
- Children of Thanatos have the ability to morph into a spirit for a short time. Whilst in this state, they are invisible (except to those gifted with powers over necromancy), intangible, able to fly, and their powers over astral energies and necromancy are enhanced. Though they are intangible by default, they can make themselves tangible to attack others or if they wish to be seen. If they attempt to attack anyone while still intangible they will automatically become visible and tangible. While in this state they are also able to drain the life-force of anyone they touch to a slight extent, however they cannot completely drain the life-force of the person. The user is extremely drained once the transformation ends, unable to move and could possibly faint.
- Children of Thanatos generally have morbid personalities.
- Children of Thanatos are generally not frightened of death.
- Children of Thanatos normally prefer the idea of a quiet, peaceful death. They also tend to dislike the idea of people losing their lives violently.
- Children of Thanatos can grow up to make great morticians.