Miles, in one word, is serious. He hates to joke around and has a reputation labeled to be a kill joy. He doesn't talk unless when talked to. He likes to sulk around in darkness and enjoy time with himself alone. It could pretty much explain his life---empty and dark. In some way, he's strange, unpredictable but logical and kind. He does everything for a reason. In silence, he appreciates art and painting.
In Chicago, Illinois, I was born to Nerissa Hamilton sixteen years ago. In Chicago's alleys and streets, I live by myself. I ran away from my house, if I can't call it a home. Mom told me that she and Dad met during a Halloween Party, she got drunk and didn't remember most of the details only that a week later, she figured out she was pregnant. When I was born, dad left us immediately with no trace of his whereabouts. So Mom remarried a neurotic psycho who continuously abuses me sadistically for fun a year later. He had a daughter before he and Mom married, a psychopath sister. He treats me and Mom as servants of our own home and not as a family. We couldn't take it any longer. Mom fought back and left them in our very own house. We had nowhere else to go and Mom started to become sick.
What choice do I have now? We ran out of money. Mom got fired from her job since she was already unable to work after diagnosed with severe anemia. I stopped schooling. I began to steal for us to survive. Criminals have a reason to be one... because of desperation. We found shelter on a dilapidated house at the edge of the city. One day, Mom died when I was twelve. When StepDad and Hadley, my stepsister, heard about the news, the only thing they offered was a funeral for Mom and nothing more. After the burial, before I went off to a meaningless and empty life, I caught a glimpse of what looked like a grim reaper with a real scythe who nodded at me. I kept blinking, it's aura radiated death and seemingly supernatural, until Hadley interrupted and said her condolences. She suddenly became kind towards me. Once she's gone, so had the hooded grim. I approached the spot where he was standing and there was a wristband with my name engraved on it. A small note said, "Your father always wanted you to have this..." and a '~N' at the end.
Nowhere to go to, I walked and walked until my feet sore and almost caught hypothermia in the cold snow. I passed a house where an aromatic scent of bread was cooking. I peered over the window, no one was out there except for a freshly baked bread on the platter with sandwiches and a juice and a painting left unfinished in a canvas. No one home yet, I entered the house with a few tricks in opening the door with my army knife. I made myself cozy, ate the meal at the table as I try to finish what the artist began. I must've fallen asleep but I heard numerous clatterings, groans and grunts (monster fights) when I was half-conscious so I thought I was dreaming that I ended up caught and thrown into jail. A few days passed and the painter came back and filed release papers for me. Confused, he sent me to his home, we talked, he understood my condition, and eventually made me as his apprentice.
Aside from painting, he taught me swordfighting and archery, both of which was his specialty. He told me that I need to learn self-defense for the crimes rising nowadays. He treated me like his own child for he never had one. Often, he'd babble poems, haikus, tankas, lovely sonnets, and verses for encouragement. He even taught me piano for a hobby. When I was 14, I almost puked when i got home to find out he was fighting old ladies. I almost contracted deliria from the trauma I got but he told me to focus seeing it. Ugly old ladies. Harpies he said. One almost got me if my wristband didn't expand into a heavy shield. He gave me a sword and watched how I handled it.
After the fight, he explained that both of us are demigods, we constantly get attacked by monsters, we train at Camp Half Blood how to fight them, that our fathers are gods. Everything. He knew my Stepdad as a psychopath son of Ares. They were rivals at camp and that Hadley was a daughter of Pandia, he taught her archery as a hobby-slash-training secretly as well. We didn't get to camp right away since I refused going there. I thought it would be another camp for mentally disturbed kids. He eventually gave up the argument so we held on to each other for nearly two years when I finally, after so many attacks, decided to get to camp.
After so many monster attacks while on the run with a sword to defend myself and Mr. Homer to guide and teach me, we met Hadley and Stepdad at the foot of the Half Blood Hill being attacked by a manticore. Bruised, tired and bleeding we may be, they're at the brink of death so we grudgingly helped them. Hadley got badly stung to protect me from being stung since I was creeping up for the kill. Demigods patrolling saw the commotion and helped. We all ended up in the infirmary after the fight.
- Children of Thanatos can use astral energies to make weapons for a short period of time, the larger the weapon, the more energy consumed. Only 1 weapon may be created at a time and it cannot be bigger than 2 or 3 times the size of the user.
- Children of Thanatos have the ability to drain some of the life force out of a person, so that they become weaker, slower, and almost sedated for a short time. However, using this in succession will weaken the power’s effect.
- Children of Thanatos have the ability to conjure a protective dome of astral energies around them, which will protect the user from attacks for a short time.
- Children of Thanatos can sense any death, whether it be mortal, demigod,nymph or monster.
- Children of Thanatos can communicate with the souls of the recently deceased.
- Children of Thanatos heal slightly every time they deal damage to their opponents.
- Children of Thanatos are able to see the lifespan of others, but are forbidden to share information about the lifespan in any way.
- Children of Thanatos have the ability to Shadow Travel, to teleport from shadow to shadow; the further the distance, the more energy drained.
- Children of Thanatos are able to call forth recently deceased spirits to aide them for a short time.
- Children of Thanatos are able to enchant weapons with soul-damaging powers, the effect only lasts for a short time.
- Children of Thanatos can bend shadows around them, concealing them for a short time.
3 Months After Character is Made
- Children of Thanatos are able to feast on the darkness around them and empower themselves for a short time, enhancing their strength and speed. After the effect wears off, the user will be somewhat worn out and unable to use the power again for the rest of the fight.
6 Months After Character is Made
- Children of Thanatos have the ability to temporarily split their souls in order to create a duplicate of themselves to aid them in combat. This duplicate and can only fight using whatever weapon the user has and possesses a weaker version of their powers. The user and the duplicate will possess a telepathic link. The longer the duplicate is maintained, the more energy is drained.
9 Months After Character is Made
- Children of Thanatos have the ability to morph into a spirit for a short time. Whilst in this state, they are invisible (except to those gifted with powers over necromancy), intangible, able to fly, and their powers over astral energies and necromancy are enhanced. Though they are intangible by default, they can make themselves tangible to attack others or if they wish to be seen. If they attempt to attack anyone while still intangible they will automatically become visible and tangible. While in this state they are also able to drain the life-force of anyone they touch to a slight extent, however they cannot completely drain the life-force of the person. The user is extremely drained once the transformation ends, unable to move and could possibly faint.
- Children of Thanatos generally have morbid personalities.
- Children of Thanatos are generally not frightened of death.
- Children of Thanatos normally prefer the idea of a quiet, peaceful death. They also tend to dislike the idea of people losing their lives violently.
- Children of Thanatos can grow up to make great morticians.
|Nerissa Hamilton||Mother||All Hearts|