He is standoffish to most people and looks perpetually bored most of the time, He emotes mostly internally, which attributes to this. Though he does not look it, he is mischievous and enjoys playing pranks, His tendency to steal absentmindedly has often gotten him in trouble, but he is quite proud of his sly fingers despite that. He is quite adverse physical contact of all kinds.
Hanna Zhou was a kind, firm third-grade teacher with an interest in traveling and sightseeing. So, during the summer break, she decided to go on a road trip across the USA. While in a coffee shop, taking a pit stop after driving for three hours, she took a seat at the counter near the cash register. In the next seat over was a man, Hermes, who looked a bit world-weary and in need of company. Glancing over at Hermes, Hanna ordered two coffees, one for herself, and one for the tired guy. Then, she started up a conversation about the simple, passing things. Just a friendly, meandering conversation. By the time the two looked up from their dialog, the diner was already closing. She offered split the cost of a room for the nearest hotel, and he agreed. This was the start of a romance between mortal and god.
The two decided to travel together for the remainder of the summer, and eventually fell in love. Towards the end of their journey together, Hermes said he lived very close to where she did . This let them continue their committed relationship, close together. However, when Hanna had to take a pregnancy leave from school, her husband, though Hermes and her were never officially married, disappeared suddenly on a 'business trip'. He left behind a considerable amount of money and a promise to visit when he could. Nine months later, into the world, sounded the shrieks of a freshly born baby.
Timothy Zhou had a moderately good early childhood if at times odd. Though his mother seemed distantly sad often, she did her best as a mother. She took a leave of absence for about a year and a half, using the money her husband had given her, to care for Tim and herself. After that, she returned to her place of work to continue teaching. However, because Hanna was always busy with teaching, Tim had many babysitters from ages 2-7. His babysitters were standard, they cared for him in the allotted time they were paid and performed all the necessary babysitter duties. None of them lasted long because of Tim's wondering fingers often resulted in a smorgasbord missing property. The resigning was usually also due to the fact Timothy was a fussy baby and toddler, who fussed even louder when touched. Later, he began to get a hang of pranking people causing all of his babysitters to be with water when opening an ajar door or perhaps be shocked when shaking Tim's hand at one point or another. They also learned not to drink anything with a straw around him, for fear of swallowing some packeted condiment. By age 8, he had had more than 23 babysitters, and his latest caretaker had quit. So, it was at this time, his mom, exasperated, decided he was smart enough to stay home alone. Timothy and his mom had a good relationship though sometimes she hugged him too hard, and his wit was a bit too sharp.
First Monster Encounter
It was also at the age of 8 that Timothy had his first monster encounter. While walking home one day, an unusually large dog started sniffing on the sidewalk opposite to the one he was walking on. For some reason, the dog made time feel like it was slowing down, and spikes of adrenaline prickled his nerves. Fear gripped his heart, and he made his presence as small as possible and slinked in the shadows of the fences as quiet as possible. The dog stopped sniffing after a while, but just in case, Tim stuck to the safety of the shadows.
School Life and First Monster Attack
At school, Tim had had one friend since about age 10, a year after the dog incident. Previously, he hadn't had any friends period. Sure, he knew the names of most of his classmates and people laughed at his pranks. However, his pranks also made him disliked, in addition to his habit of taking small things like pencils and erasers, his seeming inattention to everything, and his prickly demeanor. It was a wonder he hadn't been kicked out of his school several times over, but his mom was very persuasive, and so she managed to convince them to let him stay. It also helped that she was had some pull in the school district. His singular friend was one Amanda Terran, a girl with an odd job to her walk and a bleating quality to her laugh. One day she had just arrived at school and sat with him at lunch. It was enjoyable to have a friend though she seemed to wince at his pranks and sarcasm, so Tim tried to tone those traits of his around her. She had a stable, reliable quality to her, which was pleasant.
After school, when they were in 5th grade, they decided to hang out at the park and talked. After chatting for a time, Tim got the acute feeling that they were being watched by the small lady with feathery hair and a shawl sitting on a nearby brick wall. He told Amanda as much, and her eyes grew wide as she looked over at the woman. She had gripped his wrist and said feverishly that they had to go now. Her hand was hot and sweaty. Tim stood up with her and walked with her. However, it was then that the lady decided to whip out some crazy wolverine claws and lunged at them. Her shawl billowed behind her like a pair of wings. The two kids started running, but the lady was fast. As in 'her feet didn't look like they're even touching the ground' fast. They ran for what seemed like hours until they lost her. Then they had to call Hanna because they got lost running from the weird wolverine-bird woman. This event was his first monster attack.
Second Monster Attack and Going to Camp Half-Blood
The second attack came about a year later at his eleventh birthday. Just as he was about to blow out the candles on his cake with his mom and Amanda singing happy birthday, a bulldozer rammed itself through the wall opposite of the table. The cake, of course, was utterly ruined by plaster and other debris. Amanda and Hanna had pushed Tim to the side, smothering him. The bulldozer's image flickered into a giant scorpion. This caused Timothy to shout something along the lines of 'we are being attacked by a giant chitinous creature' to which Amanda nodded,and his mom paid no mind to because she was busy phoning 911 like a responsible parent. Amanda then gave Timothy a stick of foil covered gum to which Timothy replied 'this is not the time for gum!'. However, when Tim just unwrapped the gum because hey maybe something to chew his intense panic on would be nice, it suddenly turned into a bronze sword. It was also at this point the scorpion decided that 'ooh that sack of bones seems like a perfect snack' and skittered for him. This action galvanized Tim, who stabbed the scorpion in between the chitin on its chest. After that, there was a lot of screeching, red, bleating, and mom panicking. Timothy moved purely instinctively in a frenzy of survival, dodging and stabbing. Immediately after the scorpion disappeared into a golden, sulfurous dust, Timothy collapsed, last thought being 'who brought the goat?'.
Timothy regained consciousness to the sound of his mom and some police officers talking about things like a rogue bulldozer and insurance and other confusing things. Another thing he noticed was that he was a bed and not his own. Finally, he opened his eyes to a painfully white hospital room with Amanda sat next to his bed. Amanda explained that he was a demigod and other essential survival information that comes with being a demigod, like how friendly scorpion visits were likely not going to be a one time occurence. Amanda also stated that she told his mom already all this and that he was going to a summer camp for 'demigods'. It became apparent that he was on painkillers when he looked down on his right arm to see a giant, blood spotted bandage and the dizziness that came with them. Under the bandage was a deep 'shrapnel cut', aka a scratch from aforementioned friendly scorpion, which was going to scar, according to the doctor. After these events, Tim was finished school at home and packed a suitcase. Hanna drove Tim and Amanda down to camp (despite Amanda's protests that a camp van could pick up) and he stayed for the summer only. However, the year after, the number of monster attacks and happenstances of nearly dying spiked significantly. So, on advice of his mom and Amanda, he is now trying out being a full-time camper.
- Gumstick Sword- A celestial bronze Spartan sword enchanted to turn into a metal gum stick when the leather cord around the hilt is pulled. It turns back into a sword when one of the wrapper flaps of the gum stick is lifted.
- Various pranking materials that include tiny elastics, various condiment packets (ketchup, mayonnaise, mustard), and a small roll of electrical tape. All of this is usually contained in his shorts.
- A piece of granite- It is from Black Rock. Given to him by Amanda Terran.
Note: 3/6/9 Month Powers are locked.
- Children of Hermes are skilled thieves and are able to disarm an opponent and take their weapon easily.
- Children of Hermes can summon nearby animals to attack an opponent. The more animals summoned and the bigger they are, the more energy is drained.
- Children of Hermes are able to increase their speed and stealth in short bursts, making them faster than most and undetectable for a short time. However, they cannot have a weapon drawn so the speed is purely for evasion.
- Children of Hermes have innate reflexes which allows them to fight and dodge quickly.
- Children of Hermes are extremely proficient with thrown weapons.
- Children of Hermes are proficient in dodge-rolls.
- Children of Hermes have the inhuman ability to leap great distances at once which this can be used to dodge or attack.
- Children of Hermes possess enhanced stamina.
- Children of Hermes can sense and manipulate locks of all types. The more complicated the lock, the harder to manipulate.
- Children of Hermes are able to endow a pair a shoes with ethereal wings which grant the wearer temporary flight, they may use it for themselves or give them to another, however they are only able to go as high as just over the tree tops, and they only last for a couple of days at most before the wings lose power.
- Children of Hermes can cause a person or a group of people to speak in different languages so that no one understands what each other is saying, the effects only last a short time.
- Children of Hermes are able to trick another into doing something for them or revealing a secret to them; nothing guarantees the person will complete the task, if they figure out they are being tricked.
3 Months After Character is Made
- Children of Hermes are able to teleport themselves, since their father is the god of travel. The further the distance, the more energy drained.
6 Months After Character is Made
- Children of Hermes can temporarily steal 1-3 demigod powers from an opponent or ally for a few minutes, the user gains some knowledge of their new powers. The more powerful the stolen powers are and the more taken, the more energy is drained when the power theft wears off. (If the target doesn't have their 3/6/9 month powers, they cannot be stolen.)
9 Months After Character is Made
- Children of Hermes can shift into a hawk for short periods of time granting them flight, the longer they retain this form, the more energy it drains and the more time they need to rest between transformations.
- Children of Hermes make excellent thieves.
- Since their father is god of astrology, children of Hermes tend to make great astrologists. Able to identify any constellation and use the stars to draw star maps.
- Children of Hermes often do well when competing in athletic contests.
- Because Hermes “invented” the Internet, his children are able to use the Internet without drawing any extra attention to themselves from monsters.
- Children of Hermes have excellent memories for remembering messages.
- Children of Hermes have excellent sense of directions, are able to find and travel to any location in the world with ease.