Arthur is a shy boy, but with a strong sense of loyalty. He cares about helping others but is also self-conscious about intruding into other people’s lives uninvited. Most days you can find him training or working out, trying to avoid crowded places as much as possible. That being said, he enjoys having fun, just not at huge parties with strangers.
Marvin Papadopoulos was a simple man. He lived in a farm on the outside of his hometown for as long as he could remember. When he was a kid, he enjoyed the luxury of playing outside as much as he wanted and having all the animal friends a kid could want. As an adult, he enjoyed the fresh air of the farm and the help he was to his father. Years passed, and when his father died, he inherited the farm. There was so much work to do, and he didn’t have a job, so supporting the farm would be hard. That being said, Marvin had plenty of time, so he decided to open a market stall in the town and sell some of the farm’s produce. In no time people started buying him out, so money stopped being a problem.
The farm was developing; the business was growing (the stall evolved into a small store for organic goodies) - everything was perfect… almost everything. As much as Marvin’s life had improved, he still felt lonely. He had a few friends, but that was about it. He yearned for a partner, someone with whom he can share all of his gloom and glory… someone to love.
It was a stormy day, and the rain was pouring on the town like a flood. There weren’t many clients that day, so Marvin was about to close the shop when a hurried young lady came in. She was soaking wet and clearly out of breath.
“Can… I… stay… for a bit?” she asked between breaths, her wet, brown hair falling over her smooth, beautiful forehead. She has the most captivating green eyes and a smile that could bring down even the fiercest of warriors.
Her beauty took Marvin aback, and it took him a minute to answer. He made sure to stop staring as he answered. “Ah uh yes uh sure, of course. It’s a flood out there” he started mumbling.
“Thank you…” the girl sighed, “You were the only shop opened at this hour. I don’t know what I would have done if you were closed.” she wiped away some of the wet hair from her face. “I am Derria by the way.” she finished by extending her hand.
“Marvin” he shook her hand “Ah um do you want an apple perhaps?” he asked, his cheeks flushing as he grabbed a blood-red apple from the storage box under the counter. Derria laughed and took the apple. They talked and talked for hours, getting to know each other until the rain stopped. They made an appointment to meet in the shop after closing hours the next day and get a drink at a nearby caffé. Marvin brought Derria an Arthurium bouquet, which she loved. This became their regular meeting spot, and in no time they were dating. Marvin was on cloud nine. He had finally found someone who he loved. And she loved him back.
A few weeks later, Derria got pregnant. Nine months flew by quickly and in the end she bore a baby which she called Arthur - after her favorite flower. It was all going perfectly, Marvin thought until he came back from work one day to find an empty house, a box and a very upset baby. Marvin quickly soothed his son and went to investigate the box. It was green with beautiful golden vines wrapping around it. When he touched it, the vines disappeared, and the box opened on its own. It contained a letter, a ring and a flower… an arthurium. The letter was long and tearful explaining why Derria left, who she really was and what to expect as their son grows up. Marvin was in shock and tears were already running down his cheeks. He was alone again… no. Marvin wiped his tears and put his son in his crib. He was not alone this time. He had Arthur.
Arthur’s childhood was filled with happiness for the most part. He was happy on the farm - there were so many flowers to pick, animals to play with and space to run. One day, when Arthur was about 7 years old, he was playing near the edge of the close-by forest when he heard a noise. Snapping of branches and then silence. A second later he was pinned to the ground by a huge black dog with glowing red eyes. It was snapping its huge jaw, threatening to tear Arthur apart. He screamed and screamed and before he knew it, the dog was gone and he was covered in gold dust. Arthur was even more confused when he saw his father standing next to him with a weird-looking blade thing. His father sent him off to showerand later convinced him it was all a dream.
While Arthur grew up the attacks continued to pop up from time to time. His father always pulled off a believable excuse, but Marvin knew that he couldn’t continue with this charade for long. Arthur didn’t go to school - he decided to just stay on the farm and help his father. Doing the farm work was a good way to pass the time, and it made Arthur’s physique impressive.
One day, when he was about 17 years old, Marvin sent him to the morning shopping while he watered the crops. Arthur always listened to his father. And he was happy doing so. After all, his father was always so honest and open with him. And very understanding. He was even okay when Arthur came out as gay to him. The only “forbidden subject” was Arthur’s mother. He didn’t know why she left them or where she is. But in time he convinced himself that it didn’t matter, he had his father, and that’s all he needed.
Arthur was just outside the gate to the far, humming a happy tune when he heard a female voice behind him.
“Excuse me. Excuse me, sir. You dropped something” the voice said and when Arthur turned around, he saw a beautiful woman walking towards him, holding an apple.
“Oh, but… that’s not mine. I didn’t buy apples.” he smiled shyly as the woman approached.
“Oh, I know. I just needed your attention, you foolish demigod.” the woman said, her voice changed. She smashed the apple with one hand as her body started transforming. Her skin went white and her eyes changed to red. Her hair went ablaze, her feet transmuted - one was metal and the other one was like a donkey.
Arthur was in shock and he dropped his bags as he tried to run, but the monster-woman was faster than him and pinned him to the ground. The young boy tried fighting the monster off, but it was no use. Her strength was too much for him. Just as the monster was about to dig its ugly fangs into Arthur’s neck - his father showed up and stabbed the beast with a sickle-looking blade. The monster exploded into gold dust, covering Arthur from head to toe. In that moment he remembered that dream he had when he was little. The huge dog, the gold dust, his father and that weird blade. What was going on?
“... Dad?” Arthur mumbled softly.
“Come inside and shower, son. I have much to explain.” Arthur replied.
When he came out of the shower, Arthur sat next to his father and experienced the hardest conversation in his life. His mother was a goddess? He was a demigod? He had… a smell?!
“Don’t worry, son. We’ll figure how to handle this. We always do.” Marvin tried to calm his boy. In reality, he wasn’t sure what to do. “For now, just head to bed. We’ll think about this again tomorrow.”
Arthur was confused and sad, but he obeyed his dad. With a head heavy with thoughts, Arthur lay in his bed and before he knew it - he fell asleep.
That night he had a wonderful dream. He was in a lush green forest with so many flowers. On a nearby stump sat the most beautiful woman Arthur had ever seen. She was dressed in a long green dress with flowing sleeves. Colorful flowers covered her long hair.
“Hello, Arthur.” she greeted him with a warm smile “Come sit next to me. I’m sure you have a lot of questions.”
He didn’t know why or how, but... he knew her from somewhere. He felt like he could trust her, so he sat next to the woman.
“Arthur… I know things seem tough at the moment. But know that your father has always loved you. I have always loved you too.” she paused. “Your father is getting older, my boy. He can’t keep protecting you for long. For his and your own good… I can show you where to go. All you have to do is trust me. And trust yourself.” With that the woman gave Arthur a bright red flower (an Arthurium) and the minute he touched it - he woke up.
It was already late morning when Arthur found the strength to climb downstairs for breakfast with his dad. The boy needed to tell him his dream.
The pair prepared breakfast in silence and when both of them sat down Arthur couldn’t take it anymore.
“Dad… i think last night… I dreamed of mom.”
Marvin stopped for a second. “Are you sure it was her?” he asked finally, sadness heavy in his voice. He was almost sure what would happen next.
“I… I think so. She gave this red flower and… Dad, she told me where to go. So both me and you can be safe..”
At this point breakfast had already finished before it even started. Both of them were crying their tears in silence. Deep down Marvin knew this day would come from the minute he read that letter, 17 years ago.
“Son… I don’t want you to go… but i know how dangerous this world can be for special people like you. Long ago… when you were born your mother left me this when she left.”
With that, Marvin took off his ornate ring, and it transformed into a big chakram with handles on the inside. Then he took it apart and it the two halves turned out to be 2 sickles. Then the man put the weapons back together, and they transformed into a ring again. “I thought she left it to me to protect you… but you will need it from now on. You’ve grown up and this… this can help you protect yourself.” With that, Marvin dropped the ring into his son’s hand.
Arthur was speechless. The sickles were the exact same blade he saw his father used when he was little… and yesterday too. The boy took the ring and slid it on the pointer finger on his right hand. It fit him perfectly.
Marvin and Arthur packed a backpack with plenty of food and water and some essentials for survival, and when the sun hit noon Arthur bid goodbye to his dad and headed to the forest near their farm. He was driven mostly by his intuition, but when he entered the forest, he didn’t know where to go. He was about to lean on one of the trees to take a break before figuring out where to go when he saw a bright red flower right next to his foot. It was exactly like the ones in his dream. He leaned down to observe it closely when he saw that a few feet away there was another one. And then another one a bit after the second one. Arthur was almost sure this was his mother’s doing, so he decided to follow the flowers, wherever they may lead. The journey took about 7 days of wandering through the forest and a meadow. A few times he got attacked but managed to come out alive with a bit of luck and a lot of physical strength. Near the end of the seventh day he reached a big archway in the middle of a forest reading “CAMP HALFBLOOD”. He resides in the camp since then struggling to accommodate to his new way of life.
- Children of Demeter have the ability to shoot poisonous pine out from their hands which acts as a powerful paralytic for a short time.
- Children of Demeter can create weapons made from plants, flowers, and trees in order to aid them in combat. The larger the weapons, the more energy is drained. Flowers, plants, and trees, can also be reshaped to reinforce existing weapons and only one weapon may exist at a time.
- Children of Demeter have the ability to create a large protective dome of thick plants around them for a short time. Although they will die after a few moments.
- Children of Demeter have the innate ability to talk plants to life, either making them grow more quickly or bringing them back from a recent death.
- Children of Demeter can understand the overall well-being and conditions of plants, as well as fully interpret their emotions and communicate with them.
- Children of Demeter are always surrounded by an aura that normally causes plants to grow where they have walked. They can shut it off for a moderate time if they wish.
- Children of Demeter are innately stronger during the Spring and Summer months due to the happiness of Demeter with the return of Persephone.
- Children of Demeter have the ability to create ropes of vines and telekinetically move them.
- Children of Demeter can create and control sap, the sticky substance, distract an opponent ,bind their bodies in it and cloak themselves in a coat of sap that grants extreme resistance to physical attacks due to most weapons simply sticking to the thick sap.
- Children of Demeter are able to make plants (i.e. grain, barley, corn, etc) grow so tall that it hampers the movements of those around them for a short time; the longer they maintain the growth, the more energy it drains.
- Children of Demeter have the power of Plant Travel which grants them the ability to teleport from one plant to another. A small tree, patch of grass or even a flower will suffice. The further the distance traveled, the more energy is drained.
3 Months After Character is Made
- Children of Demeter have the ability to create a Venus Flytrap, roughly two to three times the size of the user, which will attempt to swallow anything that comes near it. It will only appear for a short time before dissipating.
6 Months After Character is Made
- Children of Demeter have the ability to animate a tree to the point that it can walk around and fight for the user. The animated tree will be quite strong and durable and unable to feel pain. It only lasts for a short time and more energy will be drained depending on the size of the tree. Only up to 3 trees can be animated at a time.
9 Months After Character is Made
- Children of Demeter can transform their bodies structure to match that of a plant’s for a short time. The user will be a humanoid plant, the type of plant will be completely up to their choice. As long as it’s not poisonous or carnivorous. In this form, the user is immune to pain and can quickly regenerate from any injury, their existing chlorokinetic abilties are stronger as well. Once the transformation ends, the user will be extremely drained. Unable to move and could possibly faint.
- Children of Demeter are normally good cooks, as their mother is the goddess of harvest and agriculture.
- Children of Demeter generally grow up to be excellent gardeners and farmers, possessing a love and talent for raising plant life.
- Children of Demeter tend to be much happier during the spring and summer and often very sour and grumpy during the fall and winter.
- Children of Demeter often have a taste and love for bread.
|Marvin Papadopoulos||Mother||I miss him so much. I try sending him letters every now and then.|
|Demeter||Godly mother||I don't know much about her. I've only seen her once. She seemed kind.|